Tuesday, August 28, 2012

~*~ How to Get a Job ~*~

My paternal grandmother painted this picture in 1915.
I kept the unframed watercolor tucked away among papers and books for many years, but in 2005 I had some Christmas money saved up and I decided it was time to get it framed.

I went to Hampton House Art & Frame in King, NC, and hemmed and hawed over mats and frames. The woman was very helpful and knowledgeable, but she listened to my ideas, too. Everything is top-notch quality to make sure the painting will be preserved and won't fade away with the effects of time, air, and light. I was (and am) delighted with the finished product.

Fast forward to 2009. I met a lady at the milk barn with the last name of Hampton and before long we connected via Facebook. A short while later, the little light bulb went on in my head and I confirmed that she was, indeed, part of the "Hampton House" family.

In January 2011, I sent this note to Lara Hampton: "It was good to see you this morning, Lara! And when I saw you, I had a few strange thoughts. I thought, 'There aren't very many artsy places in King ... except for Hampton House!' I thought, 'I might like to work there. I wonder if they're hiring?' Silly, I know ... but I'm serious. I have 11 years experience in typical office/receptionist work. I have no formal training in the art world but I'm quite artistic. Let me know if you should ever have an opening that I might be able to fill."

And here we are in the present day. We barely kept our heads above water when we were milking 30 cows; now we are milking six! (Never fear! Cows will start calving in about a month and we'll be back up to 24 - 30 in no time at all.) However, I seriously started wondering if I should start looking for a job. And I seriously questioned who in the world is going to hire a 61-year-old woman for a job that some young whipper-snapper would snag in no time flat!

So, in my usual style, I began praying: "Lord, if it's time for me to get a job, you're just going to have to drop it in my lap. That's all I know. Amen"

This past Saturday I got a note from Lara: "Hey Cindy, still interested in trying out a part time job?" (We had never spoken of the little note I had sent almost 2 years previously. You can imagine my shock!)

I went in this morning, met with the family, got the tour, and I'll start with a few hours on Thursday. I get to learn the whole framing business! Well, that's the plan, anyway. We'll see how it goes. One step at a time. I love it!!! (Oh, and let's keep it quiet about my being 61, okay?)

"Lord, You're AWESOME!! That's all I know. Amen" 

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering if it was the place you got the watercolor framed it! Figure it had to be (couldn't imagine two framing places being in King). ;-)

    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! What a wonderful story!

    I have a friend up here in WI that reminds me of your sense of humor...she's hilarious and has a farm (she has a nursery, where she takes other farmer's cattle that are about to give birth and gives them back when they're done birthing their cattle). That might be a thought for you and your husband, too. She doesn't have to do milking or slaughter, but just babysits pregnant or to-be-pregnant cattle.

    Anyway, congratulations on the job! What a cool witness story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy! I am so happy for you and I loved hearing how God made this happen in His time. Have fun at your new job! I love the work they do at Hampton House.

    ReplyDelete